We are familiar with most database technologies through many years of hands-on development. We can advise on the best approach for cleansing, validating and migrating your data, even if it lives in a variety of locations and repositories.
With GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) an extremely hot topic, we will ensure that any migration adheres to the right regulations and that any test data is obfuscated or manipulated in a way that matches it's sensitivity to you and your clients.
The data migration process
Data is one of your key organisational assets and the integrity and robustness of your data will be vital if your applications are to succeed. We will make sure you understand the whole data migration process including, design, extraction, cleansing, testing, loading and verifying.
Before starting any of this we will ensure that one of our Technical Architects works closely with you and your IT team to understand your business objectives and the sensitivity of your data in relation to the application in question.
A key aspect of data migration is minimising or avoiding risk. This is where a good plan is important alongside testing, checks and balances at all stages. We are experts in this field and will ensure that our consultants consider the best approach to minimise the potential for risk.
When is data migration necessary?
There are many reasons why you might need to migrate your data, including the following:
- You've got a new application and it needs to incorporate data from an older application
- Your data needs to be synchronised between two systems working in parallel
- You've merged with another company or acquired a new subsidiary and data needs to be moved from distributed systems to a central repository
- You are changing IT platforms, or moving hosting to the cloud and require application and data migration
- You need to relocate your data for legal or regulatory reasons
"We merged with a competitor and I had the unenviable task of sorting out the mess of duplicate systems. Completely different technologies, hosted in different locations, but all containing data that senior managers wanted visibility of. Verasseti built a data warehouse that brought all of that together and gave a clear picture of the newly combined business."